This year Fathers Day lands on 1st September. It is a day for all of us to show our appreciation for our fathers.
How Did Fathers Day begin?
In 1909, a woman named Sonora Smart Dodd heard Anna Jarvis giving a Mother’s Day sermon at church. Unfortunately, Senora’s mother had died when she was little, but the sermon made her think about her father, whom she loved very much, so she decided that there should be a special day to celebrate fathers. She began to work to create a Father’s Day that would be just as special as Mother’s Day.
Now, in Australia, Father’s Day is a day to celebrate the love and dedication of fathers, step-fathers, guardians, fathers-in-law, uncles, grandfathers or any special male role models.
How do we celebrate Fathers Day?
Many Australians celebrate Father’s Day by showing their appreciation for their fathers and some of the ways we may celebrate with our dads, is:
- A day out in the park, at the movies, at a zoo, or another place of interest.
- Handmade or purchased cards.
- Breakfasts, brunches, lunches, or dinners either at home, at a restaurant, or at a café.
- Father’s Day charity activities, such as fun runs or purchasing special gifts, to raise money for charity.
- Some families may prefer to visit places of worship together, like churches, synagogues or mosques
- One of the most common gifts associated with Father’s Day comprises of a neck tie, followed by flowers.
- Rose is the official flower for Father’s Day. Wearing a red rose signifies a living father, while white one represents deceased father.
- It has been claimed by Hallmark, the renowned greeting card maker, that Father’s Day makes up the fifth-largest card-sending holiday in the world.
- Greeting cards make up the number one gift item on the occasion of Father’s Day.
- It has been estimated that more than one-third of the cards sold on Father’s Day are funny in nature.
- A study came up with the fact that female shoppers spend approximately 50 percent more than men, while buying gifts for their dad.
- It is believed that the word “Dad” dates back to as early as the sixteenth century.
Buying a Father’s Day gift can be a challenge at the best of times, and it becomes harder with every year that passes.
Novelty gifts – done, a book he’ll never read – waste of time, something he’ll actually use – probably too expensive. Well not anymore we have some fantastic ideas for hard-to-buy-for Dads.
Part of our modern bathroom range of accessories, this 20cm Bathroom Mirror with 5x magnification is ideal for shaving or make-up use. Includes an accessory rack.
Battery Storage Box
No more batteries rolling around in drawers with our NEW Battery Storage Box with built in tester. This storage box holds 40 batteries it also has a built in tester with easy read LED indicators. Clear LED lights indicate battery level. The battery storage box can be mounted on wall. Never run out of batteries again, easily see when stocks are low. NEW Battery Storage Box
A unique weave of rubberised elastic bands made specifically to hold personal objects firmly in place. Designed to provide endless configurations of objects, digital devices and personal effects. GRID-IT!™ is a versatile as life itself!
From RRP $21.95
Looped utility tie down strap to create multiple anchor points and stainless steel carabiner clips. Each loop can be an additional fastening point – increases stability and security. Create cargo netting by linking multiple ropes together. The LoopRope utility tie downs are much simpler and safer than traditional bungee or rope tie downs. Replaces traditional bungee cords with high quality shock cord and stainless steel heavy duty carabiner clip. Quickly and easily secures cargo or equipment with no need to tie knots. LoopRope never tangles. One LoopRope tie down strap solves many fastening problems.
From RRP $24.95
Using a decanter allows for ease of pouring and increased oxygen of the wine to open the aroma and the flavour. This helps the wine to achieve its full taste potential faster. The draining/drying stand ensures a clean and clear finish by letting the decanter air-dry after hand washing. The protective tip holds the decanter in place without scratching and makes it easy to dry without risk of breakage.
Keep them in the freezer, in the velvet storage pouch provided. Cool your favourite spirit without diluting the taste. Made from natural soapstone/granite.
The Aquasling is a simple and economical solution designed to store anything from your surf boards to your sea kayaks. The great space saving design keeps your gear stored in the most low-profile position while still protecting it better than any other stray system available. RRP $69.95