Planning the Perfect Picnic
Organising Tips and Recipe Ideas
Be prepared for fun in the sun!
Make it perfect with a simple menu (suggestion below) and the “right things” packed. Here are a few tips to having a well-prepared and relaxing day:
Keep reading for these recipes we found – If you’re pressed for time, they are easy to make the day before you head out in search of the perfect picnic spot and will make for a pretty tasty way to spend a relaxing afternoon!
- Cannellini Bean and Lemon Salad
- Avocado and Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls
- Prosciutto & Zucchini Pies with Feta
- Banana Yoghurt Muffins
Don’t forget to pack some delicious cheeses, crackers, fresh fruit and drinks too…
But first, the essential ingredients for a well organised picnic:
With these picnic essentials you’ll be ready-for-anything! Now… here are some interesting recipes we found that are “make ahead” and easy. Enjoy!
Cannellini Bean and Lemon Salad
Prep Time: 10mins
Source: Super Food Ideas – May 2010, Page 73, Recipe by Claire Brookman
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Combine beans, chickpeas, lentils, parsley and chives in a bowl.
- Make dressing Place lemon rind, lemon juice, oil and garlic in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Secure lid. Shake to combine.
- Toss dressing through salad. Serve.
Avocado & Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls
Prep Time: 30mins
Source: Super Food Ideas – November 2009, Page 71, Recipe by Donna Boyle
- 8 small rice-paper wrappers
- 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3/4 cup (50g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 medium Lebanese cucumber, peeled, cut into ribbons (see note)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, cut into strips
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Pour warm water into a heatproof bowl until half full.
- Dip 1 rice paper wrapper in water for 20 to 30 seconds or until soft enough to roll without splitting.
- Place one-eighth of lettuce along 1 edge of 1 wrapper.
- Top with one-eighth each of bean sprouts, carrot, cucumber and avocado.
- Fold in ends. Roll up firmly to enclose filling.
- Cover with a damp tea towel to prevent roll drying out.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers, lettuce, bean sprouts, carrot, cucumber and avocado.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Prosciutto & Zucchini Pies with Feta
Prep Time: 20mins
Cook Time: 30mins
Source: Australian Good Taste – February 2010, Page 7, Recipe by Michelle Southan
- Olive oil spray
- 24 thin slices prosciutto
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200g full cream fetta, crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spray twelve 150ml-capacity muffin pans with oil. Line each pan with 2 slices of prosciutto, slightly overlapping.
- Whisk the eggs in a large jug. Stir in the chives and season with pepper.
- Divide the egg mixture among the prepared pans.
- Top with zucchini and tomato.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the egg is just set.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Run a sharp knife around the inside edge of each pan to remove the pies.
- Top with feta and basil leaves.
Banana Yoghurt Muffins
Prep Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 25mins
Source: Super Food Ideas – February 2007, Page 38, Recipe by Nancy Duran
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1-cup natural yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 2/3-cup vegetable oil
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan.
- Sift flour and sugar into a bowl.
- Combine yoghurt, egg, oil and 1 cup mashed banana in a large bowl.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin holes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Stand muffins in pan for 5 minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm or cold.
Are you a Howards Inspirations member?
Join in-store or online at howardsinspirations.com.au to enjoy member only offers!
© Copyright Howards Storage World, 2017.
Updated November 2017.